Proof of Legal Status

In compliance with the Federal Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996, the Board must verify proof of legal status in the United States. An applicant for registration must provide evidence of legal status by submitting a copy of a US birth certificate or a document from list A.

Mail or fax your document(s) to the address below or email to

List A:
  • US Passport (unexpired or expired)
  • Certificate of US citizenship (INS form N-560 or N-561)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (INS form N-550 or N-570)*
  • Unexpired foreign passport with I-551 stamp or attached INS Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization
  • Alien registration receipt card with photograph (INS Form I-151 or I-551)
  • Unexpired temporary resident card (INS Form I-688)
  • Unexpired employment authorization card (INS Form I-688A)
  • Unexpired reentry permit (INS Form I-327)
  • Unexpired refugee travel document (INS Form I-571)
  • Unexpired employment authorization document issued by INS which contains a photograph (INS Form I-688B). *Submit original document if using a Certificate of Naturalization. It will be returned to you.

If you do not have one of the documents listed above, you must submit copies of one document from List B and one document from List C.

List B:
  • Driver’s license or identification card issued by a state or outlying possession of the US which contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color and address
  • Identification card issued by federal, state,  or local government agency or entity which contains a photograph or information such as name, date or birth, sex, height, eye color and address
  • Official school identification card with a photograph
  • Voter’s registration card
  • US military identification card or draft record
  • US military dependent’s identification card
  • US Coast Guard
  • Merchant Mariner card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority
List C:
  • US social security card issued by the Social Security Administration (other than a card stating it is not valid for employment)
  • Certification of birth abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 or Form DS-1350)
  • Native American tribal document
  • United States citizen identification card (INS Form I-197)
  • Identification card for use of resident citizen in the United States\unexpired employment authorization document issued by INS (other than documents listed under List A)